Skip to main content

Video Game Violence (Active Shooter)

Ok, this is not a subject I know too much about any longer, as I gave up most video games when I got married 18 years ago.  When I met my wife, I had a PlayStation (the original).  As a family we did purchase a Wii when it became popular, and played it pretty heavily for about a year, but even it tapered off and we stopped all together.  I was never beaten by anyone in Wii Tennis by the way, something I am still proud of to this day.  Today, I have a NES Classic that has many of the original Nintendo Games, and I play it occasionally when I am really bored late at night.  Outside of that I have a few mundane games on my phone.

The reason I have chosen this topic for my blog is because of something that has been in the news lately about a specific game that was slotted to release.  The game is called, "Active Shooter" and was set to release June 6th on Steam, an online gaming store and platform owned by Valve Corp.

As soon as news of the release became public, there was a swift and strong backlash from the public.  This game was set up to allow the gamer to choose to be a SWAT Team member who would enter and take out an active shooter in a school or other building.  Another option the game provides is to choose to be the Active Shooter, whose mission is to search out and destroy people.  After providing that description I hope it is easy to see why the backlash came in from the public. 

Valve Corp. has removed the game and creators from their platform and it will not be released on the 6th as previously planned. 

Now, here is where the conversation starts.  How far is too far when it comes to video games?  As I said at the beginning of this blog, I still play the NES Classic, so the simple pixel games I play do not portray violence to any extreme.  Super Mario is a pretty bad cookie for jumping on all those turtle shells, but I am pretty sure he is OK for kids.  Fast forward to 2018 and you have a virtual treasure trove of shooter games and horror games that portray horrible death scenes with ample amounts of blood, gore, language, and inappropriate behavior.  What makes the games even worse is the realism.  Graphics in 2018 are near realistic.

Even games like Grand Theft Auto allow players to do horrible things, like senselessly beat and rape women, kill people whenever and with whatever you want to, etc.  Why?  I am asking this well knowing that there are MANY people out there who enjoy video games, and for that matter the extremely violent ones.  What I really want to know though are two specific things:

1. Why do games that allow you to kill, rape and destroy people in the most horrific manner draw such a crowd?

2. Why would any person want to play a game like that?

I am not asking because I am stupid or being sarcastic.  I am asking as a person who truly doesn't understand why so many millions of people like these games and enjoy playing them to the point that developers make millions.  It's almost as if people want the next, more violent and inappropriate game to get released, and there are people lined up around the corner at stores on release day.  I truly want to know why.

You see legislators bringing up video game violence all the time as a contributing factor to violent teens.  I am not saying that at all.  I am simply asking why even go there?  Parents, the greatest majority of players of these games are under age, as many of the games are labeled Mature.  Why do you allow your children to play the games? 

This has all been bouncing around in my head and I decided to blog about it because for once, I cannot come up with any feasible answers to the two questions I posed above.  So the final questions I have to pose are, Where do we draw the line?  Is the line a game like Active Shooter that allows a person to be the Active Shooter?  Why wasn't the line a game that allows you to murder and rape innocent people?  Where is the line, or is there a line?  In your opinion should there be a line? 

This is a blog I am very interested in either receiving comments on below, or in private to my stephendunkel@gmail.com email address, because I truly want to know what people think and feel about this subject. 

Thank you for reading, and I can't wait to hear from you.

DUNK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump and the DOJ Trying to Silence Mueller...

Mueller is set to sit in front of Congress on Wednesday this week and answer questions regarding the Mueller Investigation.  The DOJ, and organization that is supposed to look out for the best interests of America but has recently decided to become Trump's personal Law Firm, has sent correspondence to Mueller about what he can and cannot answer. For instance, you have the question of the 10 documented cases of obstruction in volume 2 of the report.  Mueller made it clear that he was bound by DOJ policy and could not indict a sitting president.  One very important question the Congressional Leadership will likely ask is, "If Donald Trump wasn't the sitting President, would you have indicted him based on the amount of evidence in the report?"  That question in every respect is fair.  You are asking the head of an investigation if they would have indicted someone had an arbitrary roadblock not been in place.  I say arbitrary roadblock because the policy is...

Our current state of events....

Trump Tweet 10/29/18 - "There is great anger in our Country caused in part by inaccurate, and even fraudulent, reporting of the news.  The Fake News Media, the true Enemy of the People, must stop the open & obvious hostility & report the news accurately & fairly.  That will do much to put out the flame..." "...of Anger and Outrage and we will then be able to bring all sides together in Peace and Harmony.  Fake News Must End!" Trump Tweet 10/28/18 - "The Fake News is doing everything in their power to blame Republicans, Conservatives and me for the division and hatred that has been going on for so long in our Country.  Actually, it is their Fake & Dishonest reporting which is causing problems far greater than they understand!" So I wanted to start this blog with a message from the President.  As you can see, the President has an interesting perception of the Free Press. Since Just July of this year, the President has called the Press i...

Unity in spite of differences is the way to win...

I have watched the splintering of the Democratic Party over the past couple of years, and it is very concerning.  The party has broken into smaller pieces and the infighting has become far more prevalent since the November, 2018, Elections.  What we are seeing at this point are viewpoints of essentially 3 generations of leaders coming to a head, and an unwillingness for any of them to work together toward a common goal.  Look at the Republican Party right now.  Do you think Evangelicals truly love Trump?  Heck no they don't.  Trump's words and actions go against nearly everything those Evangelicals believe in, but they show their full support because he will push for the policy positions they believe in, like in the case of abortion.  They love that McConnell is loading the courts with Judges who may just try to overturn historic abortion law, and hold judicial power for nearly a generation moving forward; even if the right loses power.  Do yo...